Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mr Darcy Vampyre by Amanda Grange


Mr Darcy Vampyre by Amanda Grange 

(also author of Mr Darcy’s Diary)



I share my love of Jane Austen with my Daughter who is now a committed fan and like all teen age girls of our time she is also a great fan of the Twilight saga (I much prefer True Blood personally).

So when I first saw Pride and Prejudice with Zombies I was quite pleased as I had always said to my daughter some one should do a Vampire style Pride and Prejudice and hey presto, there it was on the book shelf.

I bought it as soon as I saw it and read it very quickly over two days, so that I could pass it on to my daughter and by pass on I mean post back to England which certainly took longer than it did for me to read it.

After the wedding instead of the original honeymoon in the Lake District, Mr Darcy whisks her away on a Grand Tour across Europe where she get’s to meet some fairly bizarre family members of his. 

The travels are fine and the descriptions good but for me the fact that the dark brooding Darcy who can not consummate his marriage with Elizabeth is not enough to ignite the Lizzy that I am sure would not put up with all that brooding and neglect. I found myself very frustrated with her.

The gothic bits of the book are very Gothic just the style Jane Austen poked fun at Northanger Abbey but maybe the Swiss castle and angry nest scene was stretching it somewhat.

And when they did finally get around to passion it should have been big, bold and powerful not just a mention. But at the end of the day any book that took my favorite heroine to my favorite city of Venice cannot be all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment